You may not realize this but the fall is actually a great time for gardening. While many people avoid the fall and winter months due to the cold there are actually many things that thrive in the cooler weather. You can also get in one last planting of summer flowers and vegetables if you time it right going into the fall as well. Gardening can be a very relaxing activity and also a wonderful way to spend time with your family. Here are some great tips for fall gardening that you and the kids can enjoy together.
1. Plan for Next Spring: Now is the time you can actually get ahead on your spring gardening by planting bulbs for tulips, irises and crocuses. If you are looking for best results wait until the temperatures are in the 40s and 50s before putting the bulbs in the ground.
2. Grab Equipment Discounts: Since many people don’t associate the fall with gardening, most stores will be running sales on gardening supplies. Now is the time to grab up anything you may need so you are set for the rest of the year.
3. Select Winter-Loving Plants: Plants such as broccoli, kale and radishes all thrive in colder weather. In fact, radishes only take 25 days from planting to harvesting so you can actually be picking from your garden if you plant by early October.
4. Plant Shrubs and Saplings: Now is the perfect time for planting new saplings as well as shrubs to give your yard a nice aesthetic. Then they will be well on their way to full growth by spring.
5. Fertilize for Next Year: If you decide to shut down your garden for the fall and winter, you can fertilize your lawn in preparation for the next spring. That way your yard and garden will be bursting with bloom.